Wednesday, July 15, 2015

How to add Xanthan Gum to recipes

Xanthan Gum Additions:

When mixing gluten free flours we normally need to add xanthan gum to recipes.  When using a purchased flour blend mix, it may have xanthan gum or guar gum added, if this is the case you will not need to add xanthan gum.  I always bake with multiple flours so here is how I add xanthan gum:

Cake:  1/4 tsp xanthan per cup of flour called for in the recipe

Bread:   1 tsp xanthan gum per cup of flour called for in the recipe, sometimes you only need 3/4 tsp                per cup of flour.  You will be able to tell by the texture, start small and increase if need be.                  Although I will say, I always use 1 tsp per cup of flour in my breads.  

Pizza Crust:   2 tsp. per 1 cup of flour

Cookies:  1/4 to 1/2 tsp per cup of flour

Happy Baking! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment